top of page

The Birth Story

It has been 2 weeks since we welcomed our baby girls into this world. I’m going to share their birth story in this post, but I first wanted to say thank you to everyone who has reached out or checked in on this page for updates.

I apologize that I haven’t provided an update sooner, but between recovering from my C-section, driving back and forth to visit the girls in the NICU, pumping, and catching up on sleep, I haven’t had much time to post. I typically write my entries from a laptop, but am going to make more of an effort to keep you all updated by working on posts during drives to the NICU from my cellphone instead. Anyways, here we go…

Our scheduled C-Section date was Sunday, June 27th at 8:30am. We were the first and only scheduled delivery for the day, barring no emergencies. I was so relieved that we’d deliver first thing in the morning, I really didn’t want to wait anxiously all day for it to be our turn.

The day before delivery I was advised to not drink or eat after midnight, and that they would begin IV fluids shortly after that window. Brian came down at 5pm and we had a nice dinner together and watched a Boston Red Sox game on our last night as parents of 1.

I got the IV and had my last sip of water. I anticipated not being able to get any sleep, but to my surprise I was able to get a few broken hours - I thank my insomnia from the night before which wore me right out. At 6am I was woken up by the nurse who came in to put me on the monitors for my last session. What a thrill to be done with that chapter!

After monitoring I was given an antibiotic through my IV, which was recommended to me because I had an extended stay at the hospital. I was also having issues with heartburn (not being able to drink water was absolute torture), so they gave me Pepcid through my IV as well. Thankfully, it immediately cured my ailments.

An hour out from my scheduled delivery I was informed that an emergency came in and that we’d be delayed for a short period. Then an hour later, another nurse came in and told us they had another emergency come in. My time kept getting pushed back over and over and Brian and I were both antsy and frustrated by the delays. However, I was thankful that we made it to a scheduled delivery and emergencies were clearly more important.

I was finally brought back around 12pm to be prepped for surgery. I met with the team of doctors and nurses, all of whom were women, which I thought was pretty badass. I requested they put on Grateful Dead Radio for the birth, which they did right away. I got my spinal and was laid on the table. The doctor scanned my belly one last time to confirm the presentation of both babies. Brian was then brought in and he sat right next to me, holding my hand tightly.

I had a C-Section with my son Silas, so I pretty much knew what to expect. However, this time did seem to take a little longer for the actual delivery, which they said was because they had to cut through scar tissue from my precious C-Section. After about 20 minutes I could hear the doctors talking and I could tell they were getting close.

At 2:05pm, our miracle girls were born. “They Love Eachother” was playing on the radio, which was all too fitting for these little angels.

Margo Rose was born first, weighing 3 lbs 10.6 oz. She cried loud and strong. Tears rolled down my face at the utter relief of hearing her little roar.

Eleanor Lennon arrived ssoftly after, weighing 3 lbs 9.3 oz. She also cried, not quite as loud but enough to reassure me that they were both okay.

The girls were both brought into the other room to be evaluated by the NICU doctors. Brian was able to take pictures so I could see both of them. They had so much hair! All the heartburn was worth it haha!!

Both girls required CPAP, but the doctors still made sure to wheel both girls past me in their isolettes before they headed up to the NICU, which I was so thankful for. Once surgery was over, I was brought to recovery for 2 hours of observation. I was given ice chips which tasted like heaven after waiting so long to eat or drink anything.

Once recovery was over, the nurse wheeled me up to the NICU to see my girls! Again, I was so thankful that I didn’t have to wait until I was walking to go see them. I held both of their tiny hands and told them how much I loved them and how proud I was of them.

The relief I felt seeing our girls safely earth-side was indescribable. I was completely overjoyed that all of the anxiety of having them in my belly was over. Our little miracles made it, despite all the odds. They were loud, squirmy, and absolutely beautiful.

I’m a mama of little miracles.

179 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page